Sunday, April 10, 2011

Real research on radiation

When we received a report of Uranium 234 detected in the air in Hawaii, I decided that now I need to understand the risks.   It was actually pretty hard.    I do find however, that 20 minutes on the net doesn't get a job done, but 2 hours often will provide real insight.   I spent about 4 or 5 hours.

Radiation is very confusing, everyone has different units of measure.   There are lot's of opinions, and lots of highly motivated views by money and by the "love of science".   Those who understand nuclear "got off on it".

It took me about 4 hours to understand it this afternoon, at least to sort out the conversions and the BS.

Conversion factors, and government set safety levels are all in here.   Also right at the top are data on neutron absorbers necessary to stop the ongoing nuclear reactions at Fukushima.  The absorbers will all melt unless you can also cool down the Blob.

I think I nailed it, and put it summary into a spreadsheet.   There are links and reference documents embedded right into the spreadsheet.

Conclusion...so far the U-234 in the air is about 1000 time less than a recommended maximum level, for Hawaii.   And that is a good thing.  

Comments please.


Radiation conversions and safety levels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insightful and Useful Comment!